Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Let the Rains Begin!!!

What a way to start a training week!!! Ang lakas ng ulan. When the heavens open up and I lace up my shoe the rains will pour in agad. I am like a formula pit crew boss, looking for any signs of clear weather to send my machines out for a test drive. So far none "maski 1 hour lang!!!" road bike grounded, Mt. Bike tamad mag linis semi-grounded. Running yup did a few hours but still the rains are too strong. So might as well sit back, catch up on my reading and check the exams of my students hehehehe sorry guys.

Running this past few days made me rethink about the things essential to running. The Ipod Nano and Nike+ is already mandatory to keep me from getting bored from the long runs. But rains are here tago ko na muna hehehe. Here are some additional things I find essential when I do extra long runs, rain or shine.

1) This cool Hand bottle The North Face gave us - Its light and easy to use. It attaches in your hand and comes with small pockets to stash some extra cash to pay for your taxi or jeep kapag ayaw mo na tumakbo. I prefer using this than using a hydration belt since its less bulky and lighter. Plus it acts like a dumbel parang boxer hehehe. Its still a hit and miss for people. My other team mates don't like it since ang hirap daw tumakbo. Well mas mahirap mauhaw hehehehe.
2) A shoe wallet- I carry this shoe wallet from Nike(given to me again) which contains sometimes my Nike+ transmitter when I am wearing other shoes like TNF. The shoe wallet also acts as an insurance policy. It contains some cash for me to replenish my water bottles. But for the most part it is used as an identification. We run alone most of the time day or night. We might get into accidents or faint suddenly. My shoe wallet basically contains a piece of paper, with the words ICE(In Case of Emergency) written is my name, address, blood type, and home phone as well as relatives cell phone number. Just in case god forbids knock on wood something happens to me. They know who I am and who to contact. A piece of mind for my mum and family. Not a bad idea right.

3) Shoes- Rainy season is here, I think it is the the best time to invest on running shoes. Well because its gonna get ruined from the constant wet weather. So just use old running shoes or something. I am currently using the shoes issued to us by TNF. And man I am really loving it. I have some problems though with its lacing system but its definitely the best for me running on and off roads and sudden wet and dry weather. The traction and cushioning is excellent. What I like about it is the several water channels for water to drain out. Keeping my feet dry most of the time.

4)Newspapers- Well aside from getting your daily dose of information old newspapers are my best friend during this rainny seaon. After a long wet run, I rinse my shoes(mahal kasi at wala akung pera pambili hehehehe) with water clean put all the dirt and chemicals that can disolve the bonding of the sole. Next aside from the time and tested leaving your shoes at the back of the refrigerator. I stuff old newspapers inside the shoe. After several hours replace it with a fresh batch. Removes significant amount of evil water and moisture hehehe.

5) Vitamins-During the 100km run superman Dani Dematera told me he drank vitamins(im not sure what brand) every four to five hours yikes!!! Well after a long run, our body needs help to recover. We should eat a lot and as an insurance. I take extra vitamin C. I'm not really sure how many milligrams can the body only absorbed. Since its water soluble the execs will be excreted out. Hmmm ill check on that with my doc or my nutritionist aka sister hehehehe.

Aside from the earlier things I mentioned in my blog wala na akung maisip. I, sure ill think of something in the next run hehehehe. The rain is really pouring hard, crap my run pa bukas, and may Mt. Bike race weekend. hehehehe. Well small price to pay para mapuno ang dams natin and generate electricity. Tigil na ulan!!!!

No comments: